Notifications
Clear all

Unity Asset Store policy basically forces a site like this to exist  

RSS

Lerper3d
(@lerper3d)
July 13, 2022 4:21 pm  

On the off chance anyone with any power at Unity ever sees this, I want to share this view.

Assets on UAS aren't cheap. The prices are fair, however the policies are overly punishing.

Want to try a framework that costs hundreds of euros and see if it's actually flexible enough for your needs? no Demos. No refunds.

Found that an asset looks utterly crap and it was all post-processing in the video? No refunds for that reason.

Dev gets annoyed with petty support requests so pulls out of the store completely? Everyone else loses access to the item they paid a fortune for. 

How do you not see the insanity in that?

FanGamers and zuziv liked
skyerx
(@skyerx)
July 18, 2022 11:24 am  

@Lerper3d You've got such a good point here!

In the past year, I have bought probably over $500 worth of assets on the store, yet I often find myself going back to the "scripting board" as the assets do not really deliver on what they promise. Or the asset is good in itself, but the documentation is not efficient. 

A demo would definitely be great. That's why nowadays I first check for an asset here on devfreedom, try it out, then decide if I want to buy it. Only problem is they sometimes fix bugs in new releases, then you can't see if they fixed a specific bug you had without that update. 

I must admit that not all assets that I have bought are "not right for me". There are a couple of assets that I am currently working with. But it's a gamble - the end product is often very different from what you see in those videos or screenshots. 

ReplyQuote
FanGamers
(@fangamers)
July 21, 2022 5:17 pm  

It's that old story where the images or videos should come with the caption that says, "merely illustrative images." Ideally, you could have a sample for testing, such as product evaluation. As with most games, companies provide a playable demo for testing. The idea is interesting, the difficult thing is to make the concept applied in practice.

ReplyQuote
Nocturnal
(@nocturnal)
July 29, 2022 1:17 am  

I 100% agree with these statements, as a starter indie developer with little to no starter budget it's really hard to get across these assets most of the time, there's relatively good free assets but it is extremely limited and poor quality things. Their tos is also pretty much garbage...

Posted by: @lerper3d

Found that an asset looks utterly crap and it was all post-processing in the video?

This right here ^ is actually the most accurate thing I've seen, my god it's on point! 

FanGamers liked
ReplyQuote
grim.reaper.alphax
(@grim-reaper-alphax)
September 25, 2022 4:03 pm  

Absolutelly agree with all that said,and when we are talking about prices,they are in most cases crazy...

If you are average indie developer or maybe you just creating something for fun most likely you dont have money to afford it lol,i mean 500-600$ for one package is unbelivable for me.

I recently started using Unity just for fun and some previews,im mostly working with rendering in DAZ 3d so i just wanna see what can i do with same scenes in Unity,long story short when i  visited Unity Store i was just in shock lol.

But in many cases same thing happening all around this places that are selling 3d models,in past i looked around for some collection of 60s cars and i find few cases when people just for one car asking 200-300$,i even bought some and quality of model was not so good,just average and textures showed in sample images was missing so yea...scaming is just everywhere.

BTW if someone wants and needs two amazing 60s cars just ask and i would give to you.They are modeled by me so there is no any copyright on them,here are the images:

ReplyQuote
grim.reaper.alphax
(@grim-reaper-alphax)
September 25, 2022 4:04 pm  

Here is another car.

All textures would be included but no materials for Unity or such because sample images are rendered on Iray so shaders are made only to work with that not in game engines,so you need to create them yourself.
This post was modified 2 years ago by grim.reaper.alphax

ReplyQuote
Share: